Is Your Website Not Ranking The Way It Should Giving You Grey Hairs?
You have done some search engine optimization for your website and it is not ranking they way you think that it should. Consider review some of that points listed below, either one or more of the points could be that reason why your website it not ranking the ways it should.
Conversion on your website could be the issue you may have, same thing applies.
- Title Tag: This tag is very important. It tells Google or any other search engine what the page is all about. Your main keyword for that page MUST be part of the phrase chosen to be used as the page title.
- Meta Description: In as much as this does not directly affect ranking, but it does affect click through rate and click through rate does affect ranking. Try and look around for the buzzwords for your industry and use them.
- H1 Tag: This is considered the most important tag on any page of your website and should include your targeted keyword for that page. ONLY one of it should be used for the page. If there is need to more than one heading tag on that page, you can use either H2, H3, etc.
- Page Load Speed and Mobile friendly: Google expect your pages to load with 2 seconds and if your pages are taking more than that time to load, it will affect your website ranking or conversion. Likewise if your website is not mobile friendly, it will affect your ranking. You may rank highly in Google for a particular keyword presently but if competition for ranking for such keyword comes to the nitty gritty, you see your website losing out.
- Terms & Privacy: Having a terms and privacy page is one of the ranking factors from Google and is highly recommended that you get one. It also increase the trust your users will have regarding your site when they visit
- HTML Sitemap: One of the ranking factors is that a website must have one page where other pages are linked from and html sitemap serves that purpose. If your website doesn’t have one, make sure to get it.
- Xml Sitemap: This is for the purpose of helping both your users and search engine navigate your website. In Google’s eyes, this is considered important for ranking.
- Social Media Links: If you are putting out contents that are beneficial to your users and they are not talking about it on the social media, it is unheard of. The more contents of your website that is being shared, liked and talked about in the social media, the more your website is seen as an authority in that industry by Google and rewards it accordingly with improved ranking.
- Google Publisher Link: You need to set up a Google My Business or Google+ personal page and link it with your website.
- Footer Link: You need to have the main keyword of your website as a link in the footer of your site liking back to your homepage. It is as simple as that.
- Video Embeds: Make some videos, put them on video sharing websites like Youtube, Vimeo, etc and embed some of them in your website.
- Alt Tag: This is important for people that use text only browsers. Google doesn’t read images but text only and by putting alternative text for your images it allows google to see what those images are all about. If you don’t have alt tag setup for images on your website, you should consider adding industry related keywords to those one that does not have alternative texts.
- Schema Markup: A code that you put on your website that helps search engines return informative results to your users. If your don’t have any on your website, consider add one especially for your address.
Note: I want to say a few thing regarding meta keyword and it will be quite beneficial to your website if you are looking to get extra traffic.
Google does not use meta keyword as a ranking factor and so a lot of people the industry will advise you not to use it . But a look at the statistic below will help your perception whether to use it or not.
In the search engine market, Google owns 68% market share, Yahoo & Bing (combined them because they combine their algorithm and stuffs) own 28% of the market share and others own the remaining 4%. So if you look at that stats, you will not be wrong if you say that Yahoo & Bing own 1/3 of the market share and if your website is not ranked in Yahoo & Bing, you are loosing traffic and thereby loosing money.
Yahoo & Bing Ranking Factors
The basic things you need to rank in Yahoo & Bing are as follows:
- keyword in title
- keyword in url
- keyword in meta keywords
- keywords in description
- keyword in H1
- couple of keyword throughout the page
So if Yahoo & Bing are using meta keyword as one of their ranking factor and they own 1/3 of the search market share, why don’t you add it to your website so as to take advantage of the traffic that come from them?
Just to clarify something people sometimes misunderstand regarding SEO. Ranking is done by page to page. For instance, if a website is ranked number one for a particular keyword, that means either the home page of that website is ranked of any other page on the website is ranked.
- Competitive Ranked Keywords: How many of your industry related competitive keywords is your website ranked for? You need to know. If your don’t, that means you are loosing a lot of traffic and leaving so much money on the table.
- Refering Domains: You also need to know how many number of unique websites that are linking back to your website. You need to know and improve on them.
- Domain Authority and Page Authority: How authoritative does Google consider your domain or pages on your website. You also need to know and improve on these as well
Need To Have Your Website Audited?
We will audit your website based on the points listed above and send you a comprehensive and quality report detailing the things you can do or we can help you do to achieve a better result.
Just shoot us an email to email@example.com